What is it?
Mentor Match is an email-mentoring platform run by the Careers & Employability Service, where students can be matched to suitable mentors who will help students to take control and maximize their job prospects upon entering the graduate employment market and proactively encourage individuals to map out a clear and positive path for advancement.
What do the Mentors do?
- Give advice on anything from CVs and applications, to how to find work experience or job vacancies.
- Talk about any challenges that the student is facing and thinking of ways to overcome them .
- Provide knowledge about different occupations or job sectors.
Benefits of Having a Mentor
- Gain a realistic insight into different roles, organisations and sectors
- Access information and advice from experienced professionals
- Make connections and contacts
- Build confidence and commercial awareness
As well as gaining insight into the working world, taking part is a great way of developing your skills including communication and networking, which can be used to enhance your CV.
How do I get a mentor?
Our online mentoring system MentorMatch links Manchester Met students with industry professionals.
The scheme runs online so contact will mainly be via email, alternative arrangements such as telephone or face-to-face contact can be made, if agreed with your mentor.
To register for MentorMatch you simply need to create a profile and answer a couple of questions. You will then be able to view and select from available mentors.
If you would like further information about the scheme or support with registration, please contact us at email@example.com.
Can I find my own mentor?
If you do not feel that any mentors suit your needs, or would prefer to be mentored independently, you do have the option of searching for your own mentor.
LinkedIn is a great place to search for potential mentors who may have the specific qualities you are looking for. This could be knowledge/expertise of a certain industry, desirable career paths or general careers advice around a particular sector.